Friday, October 20, 2006

Shunt Up!

Kathy’s latest condition has raised a lot of concern over the last few days. Kathy’s potential for shunt malfunction is in question. She has classic symptoms of shunt malfunctions: headaches, loss of previous abilities, vision problems, tiredness, sore neck, cognitive abilities and the foggy head syndrome. I notified Dr. Kureshi and Dr. Jahan that her shunt was not delivering the results.

The whole story started on Tuesday when her vital signs digressed. On Saturday, Sunday and Monday Kathy was extraordinary. Wednesday and Thursday her performance dropped off dramatically. I found out that shunts are rather complex beasts and their performance success can vary by 20%.

I have looked into the medical process “ventricular shunts” and it is a complex world. I feel comfortable with the expertise of Dr. Kureshi. I just wonder if the shunt is a fixed shunt, an adjustable shunt or a self adjusting shunt. The GOOD news! Kathy was much better today. She had dropped half her side effects and I’m hoping this means she has a self adjusting shunt. I am waiting for more information……..

No comments: